Designer Karen Davis shares her 5 styling tips for putting together a chic picnic setting at an affordable price.
Karen Davis, the co-founder of Shibori, has worked with interior designers and fashion labels to create hand-dyed fabrics, and has also designed complimentary collections of soft furnishings and accessories. With over 15 years of experience in design and a keen eye for style, we have turned to her for advice on how to elevate our picnic settings on a budget for our alfresco outings when the sun is out.
1. Start out with a great picnic basket. Op shops can be our friend here as they often have fantastic retro examples at low prices.
2. Layered Textiles are an easy and cost-effective way to create an opulent picnic blanket alternative.
3. Play around with contrasting colours and different textures.
4. Pick out some fabulous eco plates and bowls. Keep them in neutral colours so they continue to work as you change your picnic blanket.
5. You can’t go past some lovely linen napkins. These are a great way to add pattern to your table.
And how do you turn your picnic basket into an al fresco Parisian moment even if you have just stepped out into your backyard for an intimate romantic date? Pack a baguette, cheese and your favourite bottle of champagne, and voilà you can make like Parisians enjoying an evening along the Champ de Mars.