Cook, author and foodie Sarah Glover shares her secrets on simple and healthy recipes to ensure you stick to your 2023 health goals.
To get us on the right track to eating better we reached out to the author of WILD: Adventure Cookbook, and Traeger Grills ambassador, Sarah Glover who believes in slowly implementing daily changes that eventually become routine. If you’re not sure where to begin, here are her top tips and tricks for transforming your relationship with clean eating this year.
1. Have a few simple recipes under your sleeve
The key to effectively changing your routine (or at least what I’ve found) is to learn some go-to simple recipes that you can switch up and implement into your weekly eating schedule. Some simple staple dinners (suitable for busy mums) that are on the rotation in my household involve a lot of healthy pizzas or a simple roast chicken with veggies. I normally save my kitchen the hassle and cook most things on my Traeger, especially during the summertime. Not only does it give each meal a delicious, smoky flavour but you can leave your meal to cook, monitoring its progress through your phone thanks to the grill’s WiFire technology.
2. Instead of eating out, experiment at home
When boredom strikes, it’s easy to throw in the towel and reach for a takeout menu instead of a pair of tongs. As soon as this happens I know I haven’t been experimenting enough with my home cooking and it’s time to try something new. What I love about cooking on a Traeger is that it’s like an entire kitchen in one; smoking, grilling, baking, searing and simmering. There’s no limit to what I can try out, from burgers to biscuits, I like to set myself the challenge of trying one new recipe a week to keep my tastebuds excited.
3. Think consciously about what’s on your shopping list
The tale as old as time, don’t go shopping when you’re hungry! Everyone makes this mistake from time to time and ends up at home with unnecessary sweet treats, ingredients without a purpose and items missing. Before you go shopping each week think about what’s on the menu for lunches and dinners to save yourself from having to whip something up with canned tuna and tomato paste. Fill your trolley with considered ingredients and whole foods that will keep your body nourished and routine in check.
4. Balance is key
I probably don’t need to tell you this one, but sticking to a goal is only successful if you are kind to yourself. Balance is key and just because you want to think more about your eating habits doesn’t mean cutting out yummy treats all together, who would want that anyway?!
5. Don’t neglect hydration and a good night’s sleep
Any healthy lifestyle is incomplete without prioritising your holistic wellbeing. Don’t neglect drinking enough water and getting a good night’s sleep, because this is how you will ultimately see your results.
To give you a taste of the healthier alternative, Sarah has shared with us her recipe to smoky cauliflower pizza base to make your own pizzas at home. Bon appétit!
1 head of cauliflower (about 1 kg)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried oregano/basil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
toppings of your choice, to serve
1. Preheat the Traeger grill, with the lid closed, to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone mat.
2. Wash and thoroughly dry the cauliflower and remove the leaves, then separate into florets and chop into smaller pieces. Process in a food processor in two batches, until ‘rice’ forms, then spread out on the prepared baking tray and cook in the Traeger for 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl lined with a double layer of muslin and set aside for 10–15 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
4. Increase the Traeger temperature to 250°C and place a pizza stone inside to preheat for 20 minutes.
5. Pull the corners of the muslin together and squeeze the ball of cauliflower rice until no liquid remains.
6. In a large bowl, whisk the egg, dried herbs, salt and pepper for 10 seconds. Add the mozzarella and cauliflower and mix very well with a spatula until combined.
7. Transfer the cauliflower pizza dough to the middle of the pizza stone and very carefully flatten the dough with your hands to form a thin pizza crust. Cook for 20 minutes, then carefully flip the base with a spatula and cook for a few more minutes, until you have a golden pizza crust.
8. Top the cauliflower pizza base with your favourite toppings and continue to cook until the cheese on top turns golden brown.
9. Cut into slices and serve.